[CQ-Contest] Merging Social Media and Contesting

Sterling Mann kawfey at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 11:47:25 EDT 2020

This discourse is giving me a lot of insight as to the future of amateur
radio contesting. I'm a part of a few contest committees and organizing
groups, so in part, I'm building programs for the next generation of ham
radio contesters. I wholly assumed my points of view would not be met with
agreements on this list, but being a part of the youth ham radio culture I
tend to talk about this stuff in an echo chamber that has entirely the
opposite points of view as just about everybody who has responded to me.
It's good to hear from the other side, from the majority of contesters.
It's almost a little disillusioning since the outcry is so fierce here.

The problem with streamers submitting only checklogs and new categories is
that nobody is going to want to force themselves into a non-competitive
category so they can livestream their operation. They're disincentivized to
livestream, and therefore the whole plan of opening up ham radio contesting
to the modern era of hundreds of millions of eSports fans is moot.

I forgot to mention: gaming has a thing called stream sniping, where
opponents try to get an upper hand by watching the streams of a competitor.
It's just like peeking at player 2's screen on Nintendo64 007 Goldeneye
multiplayer. Streamers tend to put long delays or conceal revealing
information to combat this. At eSport tournaments, stream sniping
vehemently banned, and almost made impossible. Some teams have been caught
sneaking information about their opponents strategy or whereabouts to
competitors remotely, via earpieces, chat programs, etc. New rules and
monitoring were put into place.

There's also a thing called swatting, where disgruntled viewers report the
streamer to 911 as a terrorist or mass shooter, ending up with a SWAT team
at the streamers front door. This has actually resulted in a few deaths.
Thankfully 911 agencies and SWAT teams are getting smarter about raiding
houses with no prior convictions or criminal history.

The point is two fold: contesting has a parallel with gaming, so a huge
opportunity exists by integrating with that industry, and that cheating is
always a thing, even in eSports, but it can be limited and curtailed while
still keeping the game fair to everybody, streaming or not.

-Sterling N0SSC