[CQ-Contest] Contest within a contest

ko7ss at yahoo.com ko7ss at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 15 02:34:39 EDT 2020

On 3/13/2020 01:01 PM, Edward Sawyer wrote:

"your groups would be better served by using the contest weekend assignment and exchange and basic
scoring rules as an "open source" activity. Sponsor your own contest within a contest that operates during
the weekend and interfaces with the existing contesters but have your own set of rules. Enter as checklogs
to the sponsors and see if the sponsors will provide all the logs to you for your own scoring and cross
checking"

This is a very interesting idea. The CQWW and CQ WPX public logs are already available in Cabrillo format,
the ARRL DX logs in non Cabrillo format.

It would be interesting to see distance based scoring applied to the CQWW and ARRL DX contests. Most
interesting would be the CQ WPX with 1 point Q X mults scoring.

The W3KM Cabrillo evaluator could be used (?) to rescore the top 50 logs in each category. The only
problem is the Maidenhead grid square has been removed from the public logs for "privacy reasons",
even though a grid square is 500 sq miles in size.

A website Realcontestscores.com could be set up.

Maybe the Top Ten results would all be the same. Maybe not.

Maybe when a few sunspots come back no one will care that coastal W1/2/3's dominate the Top Ten. For
now though I am considering hiring a social media PR firm to promote my 2 hour 20M EU opening on 20M,
Watch out W1/Maine, I'm coming for you next year!

73, Bill KO7SS in Arizona