[CQ-Contest] Cut numbers and V47T SSB recordings

Randy Thompson k5zd at outlook.com
Sun Mar 22 19:45:28 EDT 2020

I used to listen to W6PH complain about having people spell out their state abbreviation instead of just saying the state name.  For an experienced USA contester, we know the state names and how to extract them from QRM.  It is often confusing when people say the letters phonetically because it doesn't match what we are expecting.

Saying "M D" is a good example.  I probably had to think, 1) Is he done?, 2) Is it ND or MD?, 3) Is it Maryland?

I got better at dealing with the different state identifiers as I went through the weekend, but it still would sometimes catch me out.

Having said all that, it makes perfect sense for W/VWE ops to say the state abbreviations for non-USA contesters because they don't all know or can guess the correct state identifier without our help.

Not complaining, but it is a great example of how our expectations impact information transfer.

As for cut numbers, they have a place.  When I was sending a long number in QRM this weekend, I would occasionally send the full number one time and then use a cut number the second time.  This could help the receiving operator confirm that some digits were a 0 or 9.

Randy K5ZD