[CQ-Contest] What affected DXing?

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Tue May 12 13:50:46 EDT 2020

Affordable global mobility is also a factor. DXpeditions were uncommon
during the 1950s. DXpeditions and contest DXpeditions became
increasingly common during the 1960s with the advent of global jet
air routes and became much more sophisticated multi-band activities
with the advent of Five Band DXCC and the DXCC Challenge.

Regulatory changes resulted in -- among other things--
- the dramatic increase in 160 meter DXing and contest activity
- the dramatic increase in 40 meter SSB DXing and contest activity
- dramatic increase in 6 meter DXing and contest activity
- DXing on the WARC bands

The phase out of AM and the dramatic increase in SSB activity
during the late 1950s and early 1960s. When I was licensed in 1959
SSB activity was confined to the top 75 kHz each phone band. During
the late 1950s and early 1960s serious DXers and DX contesters needed
competitive AM and SSB capabilities. Picture K2GL with Collins
KW-1 and KWS-1 transmitters on every band...

73
Frank
W3LPL