[CQ-Contest] Sweepstakes Exchange History

Hal Offutt hal at japancorporateresearch.com
Tue Nov 10 21:37:05 EST 2020

Jim,

Young man, I'm afraid I have to correct you about RST not being part of
the SS exchange.  I have copies of my old SS logs from the 50's.  The
official ARRL SS log forms (which the Communications Department would
send to anyone who requested them) have the following columns for both
sent and received (1 pt each):  NR, STN, CK RST, Section, Time, Date
(Nov).  Ops sent honest RST reports too.  With in-the-attic wires, I got
plenty of 569 reports and very few 599 reports.

There was no "precedence" then.  That may have been because there were
not separate categories for power level.  LP stations (150 w or less)
got a power multiplier (1.25X for CW and 1.5 for phone) and all scores
were were listed together.

I wish I weren't old enough to know this kind of stuff.

73, Hal W1NN CK 57