[CQ-Contest] Key Clicks.... Continuing Problem

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Nov 14 13:45:35 EST 2020

On 11/13/2020 6:30 PM, Randy Thompson wrote:
> Bandwidth seems to be the best metric for determining signal quality.  A signal is either within expected norms for the given mode or not.  The challenge is how to measure that after the contest.

Occupied bandwidth can be clearly observed on a combined spectrum and
waterfall display. If a recording can preserve spectrum and present it
to such a display, and if the offending station is strong enough
relative to other stations, it should be practical to assess compliance
with an appropriately designed rule. I'd be happy to participate in
concocting one. Three resources are on my website.

http://k9yc.com/FTDX5000_Report.pdf
http://k9yc.com/TXNoise.pdf
http://k9yc.com/K6XXAmpTalk.pdf

When digesting these, note that while my measurements were done using a
K3/P3/SVGA to observe other signals, there are now many other good
hardware options. Also note that K6XX is highly regarded contester both
as a contester and as an engineer-- he is a production engineer at
Elecraft, and was responsible for putting both of their power amps into
production.

73, Jim K9YC