[CQ-Contest] Key Clicks.... Continuing Problem

Ed Radlo eddrad at aol.com
Sat Nov 14 17:39:20 EST 2020

Mike:
Thanks for addressing this issue on behalf of the ARRL.
As you grapple with this, let me add a new dimension to the discussion, based upon my experience as someone who had been using an unmodified FT 1000 MP.  I bought the rig in 2000, when key clicks were not in the forefront of consciousnessas they are now (I estimate that more than 10% of the signals I heard in last week's CW SS had key clicks).  Very recently, my friend and fellow NCCC member N6XG installed the INRAD anti-key-click mod into my MP.
As W6YA pointed out in his original post on this topic a few days ago, there are mods available for the various (mostly Japanese rigs) that were designed in such a way that key clicks would be inevitable.
However, it should be noted that the INRAD mod, which is the best known mod for curing the FT 1000 MP key clicks, is extremely difficult to install.  I never could have done it myself.  I was fortunate in that N6XG very generously gave of his time to install it for me.  I don't know how difficult the other mods are for this rig, or how difficult the mods are for other clicky rigs, but at least for the INRAD/MP combination, the sheer difficulty of installing the mod is a significant deterrent to doing so.
It's no wonder that Yaesu repair guru WA4GEG's time is fully booked into 2021.  I suspect that a lot of what he has been doing lately is putting anti-key-click mods into Yaesu's.
As K9YC pointed out in his excellent 2014 comparative engineering analysis on the cleanliness of CW rigs, it's not a viable solution to require that all the radios that currently have clicks be confiscated.
And Mike, while your efforts are to be applauded, changing a vague and largely uneforceable rule to make it slightly less vague but still largely unenforceable, will do little to rectify this problem.
So here is what I think the ARRL should do:
1.  The ARRL Board should pass a resolution stating, with appropriate detail and supporting documentation, that purity of transmitter signals is an important element of good amateur operating practice.
2.  This resolution should be sent to the major amateur radio transceiver manufacturers throughout the world.
3.  The ARRL should instensify its efforts to conduct thorough engineering studies comparing the various rigs on the market.
4.  The equipment reviews published in QST should emphasize that transmitter purity is as important as receiver performance.  These reviews should be very candid and thorough.
73,  Ed Radlo  AJ6V