[CQ-Contest] Rule Changes for the CQ WW WPX SSB and CW Contests in 2021

Hal Offutt hal at japancorporateresearch.com
Tue Nov 17 08:03:27 EST 2020

Every time this subject comes up here, the overwhelming response is:
Leave the Unassisted category alone.

Why hasn't this message been received?

Why must we wake up to discover that unidentified persons have suddenly
changed the rules we have followed for years without the slightest
effort to check with participants?  That's not the way things are
supposed to work in today's world.  Ever heard of stakeholders?

This contest belongs to all of us, not just to the current managers and
whoever else happens to be on the inside now.  Yes, some of you put in
countless hours to manage this event and produce the results and we are
very appreciative.  But this should not give you license to change
important rules willy-nilly.  We participants - and especially those of
us who have been regular full-time operators - make this contest what it
is and our opinions ought to matter.

The results of the WPX contest indicate a very clear preference for
unassisted operating among single op entrants.  In both the SSB and CW
weekends, a substantial majority of logs submitted by single ops have
been in the Unassisted category every single year for the past 10
years.  Over the past five years, 54-57% of CW single ops were
unassisted, while for SSB the numbers were 62-63%.  Among US ops, the
preference for Unassisted versus Assisted is even stronger.  There is
absolutely no mandate or justification for making this change.

The points made by EI1DI (below) are spot on.  They are worth reading again.

Please reconsider this incomprehensible decision.

73, Hal W1NN