[CQ-Contest] WPX Single Op Rules

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Tue Nov 17 14:23:00 EST 2020

On 17/11/2020 17:15, Bud Trench wrote:

Here we go again - with more half-truths and evasions.

> The revised WPX rules fully support single operators that do not want to
> utilize QSO alerting systems.

They don't - the former Single Op Unassisted categories have been
abolished.  That's not what I call "full support".

> You can operate in the Single Operator
> Category as you have done historically, if you desire.

True, but you can't compare your results with other SO Unassisted ops -
because they're not listed separately. Further, you are likely to be at
a competitive disadvantage if you do not "desire" to use spots from
other operators and/or the RBN.

> Single Operators are NOT required to use QSO alerting systems.

They ARE required to use spots from other operators and/or the RBN if
they want to be competitive.

> The only requirement regarding QSO alerting systems is that they are precluded in the Single Operator
> Classic Overlay category.

That's one more way of not admitting the plain truth - the former Single
Op Unassisted categories have been abolished.

> The Classic Overlay Category was reduced from 36 hours to 24 hours, after
> the inaugural run in 2020, to make it consistent with the Classic Category
> duration in CQ WW.  I believe this is sound as many participants are
> physically unable or unwilling to operate for longer periods.  Operators
> using a single radio that want to operate without QSO alerting systems for
> more than 24 hours can do so; their entire period of operation is applicable
> to the scoring in the Single Operator category, and their first 24 hours of
> operation is valid for the Single Operator Classic Overlay.

Does that mean that an individual operator may submit entries for both
the Classic Overlay Category AND the new Single Operator Category?  If
not, what exactly does it mean, and where's the implied benefit?

73,
Paul EI5DI