[CQ-Contest] origin of "es" in Morse code (cw)?

Art Boyars artboyars at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 10:10:39 EDT 2020

I've not got the time to research and document it, but the story I heard in
my Morse youth was that one of the Morse codes (American, Continental,
whatever) back then the symbol for ampersand was dot-space-dot-dot-dot.
The ampersand was used even in formal writing, and so merited its own
symbol, similar to period and comma.  The "space" was not a letter space,
but a symbol element -- that form of Morse used dots, dashes, and spaces
(two bauds??).

73, Art K3KU

Virus-free.
www.avg.com