[CQ-Contest] Question about category

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 11:10:13 EDT 2020

For those of you who think that being a guest-op is a walk-in-the-woods,
let me tell ya...

In CQWW CW 2019, I was guest op at K1ZZ's fine station. I had no on-site
assistance from Dave. In fact, Dave was 9000 miles away, operating in 3B8.
He had not been at his home QTH for the previous month. I arrived at his
station 2 days before the contest. The first order of business was to hook
everything up and see what was working, and what needed fixing. I also had
to plumb in some RX antenna switching boxes that I brought from home. I
won't go into great details, but the major fixes were repairing a 2x6
switch, and replacing a stackmatch at 90'. Neither involved an overnight
shipment from DX Engineering - rather, it was searching through Dave's
garage to find working replacements from a pile of stuff he got from the
previous NN1N station.

I can tell you more stories about my guest-op experiences at N3HBX and K1VR
the previous 2 years, but that will have to wait for a Xenia hospitality
suite. They both had their challenges.

73,
Steve, N2IC