[CQ-Contest] Question about category

ku8e ku8e at ku8e.com
Mon Oct 5 11:15:13 EDT 2020

The top scores in CQWW have always been by guest operators. Some recent examples W2GD, AA3B, N6MJ, N2NT, CT1BOH etc from either Caribbean or Africa. If you've never done this don't knock it. I can tell you these guys don't just show up and operate. They also spend a substantial amount of time doing antenna and other work beforehand to prepare for a contest.As far as remote operation that can have challenges as well. When operating remote stations you have some limitations on what you can do with the equipment. Plus some of these stations are unmanned so you can't fix stuff on the fly when a problem occurs. Many times you might be one problem away from ending your contest weekend.Jeff KU8E Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: john at kk9a.com Date: 10/5/20  10:38 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: cq-contest at contesting.com Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Question about category There may be some advantage to being a guest op. The top three SOAB  scores in the last CQWW CW contest were made by guest ops and the top  US score was also a guest op.John KK9AK9MA wrote:How about the guest operator who shows up before the contest for asingle-op operation, while the host spends the weekend fixing things thego wrong? With remote operation, the guest op doesn't even have toactually be there.Personally, I've always just disregarded guest op scores when comparingthem to my own.73,Scott K9MA_______________________________________________CQ-Contest mailing listCQ-Contest at contesting.comhttp://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/cq-contest