[CQ-Contest] Distributed Contesting

Stan Zawrotny k4sbz.stan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 17:42:42 EDT 2020

Randy,

We think it is appropriate for all contests to be consistent in how they
level the field for their participants. Don't you think that an Oregon
station working remotely out of Maine has a leg up over other west coast
stations in the Worked All Europe Contests?

I am in favor of amateurs using innovation and technology. However, those
with an advantage, such as HP vs LP vs QRP or multi-op vs single-op, are
better off in a separate category where they can compete with like
capabilities. I also don't think that an overlay is the solution. (Whoever
placed wires in the same overlay as a tri-beam on a tower with a rotor?).

Why can't the WWROF take a leadership role in making recommendations to
overhaul the category structure used by the hundreds of smaller contest
sponsors (and the few larger ones)? This is the 21st century -- how about
some thinking to match today's technology (remote operating, SO2R, etc.)?
Return competition to radiosport competitions.

73,
Stan, K4SBZ