[CQ-Contest] Caribbean Trips for Fall Contest Season

James Cain jamesdavidcain at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 11:39:51 EDT 2020

"Asians and Europeans traveling to the Carib for contests?" Huh I don't
think so. They don't even do so even when times are normal. By "Asians" you
of course mean Japanese; they can't even mount an expedition to Minami
Torishima, Scarborough Reef, or Pratas Island, three of the most needed
DXCC entities and right in Japan's back yard. And how about a WRTC from
Japan? Even Russia managed to put on a WRTC.

Get real.

cain

What Jeff says is true for U.S. residents, but not for those in the other
countries where risk of transmission is low under international
medically-based standards.  Because they have achieved low risk levels,
generally people in those countries can go back to work and school, and
travel if they wish, while exercising precautions. This was driven home to
me just now when, after viewing Jeff's email, I saw a picture of my friend
Jan, OZ1ADL (contest station OZ5E), enjoying a beer with some friends in
Germany yesterday.  Many EU borders re-opened back in July, subject to
periodic review of each country's medically-based risk level.

It just might be an opportune year for some European or Asian contesters to
visit the Caribbean for CQWW.  Every island is different. I checked
contester-favorite Curacao, for example, and on July 1 flights resumed to
Europe and the island is open to visitors from many low-risk countries -
including Canada, many EU, and some Asian - subject to precautions
(https://www.curacao.com/en/questions/health-and-vaccinations/response-to-novel-coronavirus-covid-19).
Bonaire is more restrictive, but generally open for visitors from select
countries deemed low risk and flights to and from Europe also resumed on
July 1.

While some operators are forced out of on-site action because of the
continued high risk levels in the U.S., maybe contesters from
other countries will travel and we'll work the multipliers!

73,  Dave K3ZJ