[CQ-Contest] Call Sign Weight

donovanf at erols.com donovanf at erols.com
Wed Apr 21 16:35:53 EDT 2021

Hi Joe

There was an excellent article (in QST?) many years ago that explored
the pros and cons of each individual Morse letter in a callsign.
It explored the internal error correcting properties of some Morse
letters that makes them less l ikely to be confused with other letters.

Its also important to consider error prone pairs of short Morse letters,
just a few examples if potentially error prone Morse letter pairs:
AN DE EE EI GE IE IN KE MA NA NE NI RE SE TA WT
Analysis of contest log checking reports may reveal letters and
letter pairs with higher error rates on both CW and SSB

And there are some awkward letter pairs such as EE, HS and HH

M athematical computation of the "distance" between various
more letter and letter pairs might help.

I once received a letter from W3RPL complaining that I
must have received many QSLs for stations he actually
worked.

I can't tell you how many times I've jumped into a "packet"
pileup to discover a station I haven't even called yet already
replying to me. Stations like W2LPL, K3LP, W3LL and W4LPL
helped me break the pileup before I got there.

Then there are the frustrating Whisky Three Rima Papa Rima
copying errors... I have many SSB QSLs sent to W3RPR

73
Frank
W3LPL