[CQ-Contest] NAQP CW - Rules Changes Needed

RT Clay rt_clay at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 9 10:10:28 EDT 2021

 I was asked what will change for the unassisted ops if an assisted class is added. I would expect that if an assisted class was added, close to 50% of the entrants would go assisted. That would make a big change on the dynamics of the contest:

1. Cluster pileups on rare mults. In NAQP even with a small station (I operated NAQP for years with only wires...a tribander at 50' would have been huge) you can still find mults and not have to fight through big pileups. This will make the contest less friendly for small stations. Even small stations can run in NAQP. If there are many assisted stations who are always calling the rarer mults first, the run rate may actually go down for small stations in more common states.
2. The whole strategy of band choice and mult finding would change. Because mults count per-band and NAQP is short, finding mults on multiple bands is a big deal. This weekend I found 10 open to the east coast later in the afternoon (2200z?). Very few were there. Later 15 was open to W9. A ZF moved me from 15 to 10 when nobody else was on 10. Finding these openings is part of what makes NAQP fun and challenging. With the reverse beacon network these openings would be discovered instantly, and unassisted ops would find them easier as well (it is easier to see 10 is open when a whole bunch of assisted ops are there). You can argue that this would be better and allow more qsos to be make, but it would certainly take out part of what makes the contest interesting and makes skill count.

#2 is also why unassisted stations should not be allowed to look at their own callsign reports in reverse beacon during the contest. Hint: want to see if 10 is open? Check the beacon band 28.200-300...

BTW ncjweb.com now has results available all the way back to the first NAQP (1991). NAQP has grown quite a bit in popularity so I don't see what needs "fixing" about it. High scorers now are making twice as many qsos as in the 1990's.

73 Tor N4OGW