[CQ-Contest] : Re: NAQP CW - Rules Changes Needed

ku8e ku8e at ku8e.com
Tue Aug 10 18:23:31 EDT 2021

KenSure you're going to do better SOA because you are having spots fed to you. But it's not necessary to do good in a contest. The way I read this thread is the author and some others were saying operating SOA was the only way to have a good score if you lived in an HOA. That's not true.I live in a neighborhood with an HOA and seem to do pretty good with wires in the trees. I've won Georgia several times in SS beating more well equipped stations. I've also won several other contests as well. I have a friend in our contest club - N4GG who has antenna restrictions with an HOA and he does even better than me. JeffSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: AB1J via CQ-Contest <cq-contest at contesting.com> Date: 8/10/21  9:34 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: ku8e at ku8e.com, cq-contest at contesting.com Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] : Re:  NAQP CW - Rules Changes Needed You wrote:Sorry but what does living in a HOA have to do with operating assisted ? It seems to me that that you would have a harder time working someone by clicking on spots as compared to tuning the band and just calling someone who is CQing.\==========================================A lot actually.  Small stations doing mostly S&P, HOA or not, get better results running assisted.  Almost everyone calling CQ gets spotted on CW and RTTY, so there aren't two categories of CQing stations, spotted or unspotted.  Only newly spotted stations have cluster pile ups.  Other CQing stations, spotted or not, experience normal answering patterns. A (very) few stations get missed somehow by the RBN.  The chances of an unassisted station finding lots of unspotted CQing stations is small.  I can testify to that as I have lots of both unassisted and assisted operation experience from a miniscule station.In contests where there is a choice (like the WPX), I sometimes operate unassisted just because that is a shrinking category and I might have a better chance for a certificate.  But in any given contest under similar conditions in successive years, my assisted score has always been higher than my unassisted one.  Sometimes dramatically so.73,Ken, AB1J-----Original Message-----From: ku8e <ku8e at ku8e.com>To: cq-contest at contesting.comSent: Mon, Aug 9, 2021 9:36 pmSubject: Re: [CQ-Contest] : Re: NAQP CW - Rules Changes NeededSorry but what does living in a HOA have to do with operating assisted ? It seems to me that that you would have a harder time working someone by clicking on spots as compared to tuning the band and just calling someone who is CQing. Those spotted stations probably have other people calling them and if you were QRP or had a modest antenna you wouldn't probably make it thru the first time.I have no problem with those who want to operate assisted and do their thing. My personal opinion is operating that way is a dumbing down of operating skills. It's like catching fish from a barrel.JeffSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone-------- Original message --------From: iainvest at gmail.com Date: 8/9/21  2:30 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: cq-contest at contesting.com Subject: [CQ-Contest] : Re:  NAQP CW - Rules Changes Needed If you want to increase the number of participants, then offering anassisted category makes a lot of sense.  I live in a HOA.  Antenna is hiddenin the trees.  Fortunately I live above the average terrain so I do betterthan most with a compromised antenna. The majority of my operating is searchand ponce.  Do I get answered on the first call? Often not. So you callagain.  Then go searching for the next call sign that is not a dupe.Operating in assisted mode just makes it a lot more fun and results inspending more time operating in the contest. 73, Larry K8LS _______________________________________________CQ-Contest mailing listCQ-Contest at contesting.comhttp://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/cq-contest_______________________________________________CQ-Contest mailing listCQ-Contest at contesting.comhttp://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/cq-contest_______________________________________________CQ-Contest mailing listCQ-Contest at contesting.comhttp://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/cq-contest