[CQ-Contest] NAQP and rule changes

jpescatore at aol.com jpescatore at aol.com
Wed Aug 11 06:13:28 EDT 2021

First a reminder that the best way to have your voice heard about rule changes is to directly email the sponsors, in this case:
CW:cwnaqpmgr at ncjweb.com SSB: ssbnaqpmgr at ncjweb.com RTTY: rttynaqpmgr at ncjweb.com

In most contests where there is a SOA category, I'll enter as assisted and use spotting.  From my small home station, definitely helps my rate both running and S&Ping. When I guest operate bigger stations, same is true.
But in contests like the NAQPs and Stew Perry (or the Sprints, where spotting is useless anyway) I enjoy the change and going back to the old fashioned way. Rate definitely makes the time fly in a contest and maximizes score, but there is something about periodically testing out those old skills that I enjoy.
Personally, that skill building is what got me into contesting vs. trying to win awards. Same reason in recent years I've gotten into playing around with Arduino boards - I'm not building world class devices but it is challenging and loads of fun.
I think a lot of younger hams are coming from the builder movement - amazing to see crowded soldering stations at the Builders areas at hamfests! The equivalent of higher rate would be to just buy the boards/boxes and get going.
So, I don't think every contest should be the same and I don't think making rate easier is really  needed to attract new hams to contesting, especially in popular entry level contests like the NAQPS.
73 John K3TN