[CQ-Contest] Past Prediction of the Future of Contesting.

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Sat Aug 21 19:46:55 EDT 2021

Over 30 years ago, I remember attending a technical presentation at Hayes, the modem maker (where I worked for 12 years) about the future technological advances. It was given by our chief architected and technical director.

Toward the end of his presentation, he started talking about 64Kbps and 128Kbps modems. We all kind of looked funny at each other. Dr. Shannon had established his law that indicated a standard telephone line could only pass about 56Kbps, and we all knew this. At the end of his presentation, we asked him about this — how would that be possible?

His answer was succinct:
“We must learn to process noise.”

Thirty years later, that still hasn’t happened.

But we’ve given up on using voice telephone lines to pass digital information, thank goodness.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
       -- Wilbur Wright, 1901