[CQ-Contest] A DX Contest on the WARC bands -- A terrible idea

Stanley Zawrotny k4sbz.stan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 18:03:42 EDT 2021

Would the one-time, or once a year, contesting event encourage enough new users of the WARC bands to warrant the violation of a longstanding gentlemen’s agreement of limiting contesting to the non-WARC bands?

Most of the comments in favor of allowing contesting to use the WARC bands have come from contesters. The non-contesters who are seeking a Haven away from all the contests would likely disagree.

The invasion of the non-contesting Haven, even for just once a year, would entirely remove our argument that we have provided non-contesters with a place to operate during contests.

Most likely, if WARC band operation during contests were allowed, most contesters would continue to operate where they always have operated, at the expense of a gentlemen’s agreement. Net gain: Contesters 0, non-contesters -1. The tread title says it all - A terrible idea.

Stan, K4SBZ

"Real radio bounces off the sky."