[CQ-Contest] CQWW in-band multi op

Mike VE9AA ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Thu Dec 2 08:25:07 EST 2021

Yes Frank, but to be fair, there are any # of reasons you don't get a
reply right away (or sometimes at all), so not all delays are
necessarily attributed to in band Multi-Ops (but no doubt SOME are) who
you've called out.
-op has QRM/QRN, can't hear you reply. (they are not sure you replied to
them)
-op has fat fingered something....program locked or in wrong mode
-op hit their VFO and is trying desperately to get back on ur freq.
-Newbie op is scared to reply. (you are maybe QRQ, or they have "mic
fright"(yes, it's a CW contest)
-They never heard your report and are waiting for you to send it again
(rather than just send "AGN" or "?")
-They merely clicked on a spot and sent their call blind without really
hearing you (this happens!--I could write a whole story on this)
-Power outage.
-Wife/XYL screaming at them.
-Cat/Dog/Gerbel bumped the keyboard/mouse/paddle/VFO
-A dozen other things I haven't thought of.

So, yes, it happens and you're upset (otherwise you wouldn't have
written) but I don't think it's always the multiops.

It *IS* part of the game.  If things are quiet I generally give them "2
strikes and I move on"....if I know I have other callers they get one
chance and one chance only (most times) and I move on.  ie: Be ready
Freddy ;-)

73 es CU (all of a sudden!) in the next one.

-Mike VE9AA

Anybody else noticed a lot of obviously untrained in-band multi op
stations
this year?
Please guys, if you decide to do in-band with your multi op, please give
it
some training before the big show.
I received plenty of calls, then no answer, sometimes 3 times in a row,
in the
worst case suddenly a report in the middle of my next QSO.
I'd suggest the running OP is notified of the in-band QSO and then
actually
waits for a few seconds before making the next QSO. That would be fair
to the
called station.
If you do in-band you have to make sure you're actually able to listen
while
the main OP is transmitting.
Frank DL2CC