[CQ-Contest] Original application of "spotting" network

Michael S. Mitchell W6RW w6rw at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 6 17:21:55 EST 2021

I remember when it started on the West Coast. It was Dxers spotting DX stations for use by DXers. It was 2 meter packet spots. Charlie, W6KK (N7QQ at the time) was a major contributor to the backbone of the Southern California DX Club Packet Cluster System. He installed some 6 meter links to connect some packet clusters together and set up voice announcements on 2 meters and on 220 MHZ. You could be sitting watching television monitoring the 2 meter frequency and if a DX Country that you needed got voice announced you could go to the shack and see if you could work it.

We started using it later on in the contests integrating with CT software.

Fun memories! de Mike W6RW