[CQ-Contest] Receiver adjustments in CW contest conditions

Hans Brakob kzerohb at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 17:52:32 EST 2021

I expect that the answers to the question will be variable, to a large degree, on the individuals ears, and will be particularly related to the sweet spot in their auditory “curve”.

I have profound hearing loss above about 1000Hz, so I prefer a CW sidetone of about 300Hz.   Disregard RX filtering/offset/shift for the moment, and consider “percentage of separation”.

Using 300Hz sidetone, if another station fires up 100Hz away the percentage of separation is 33%.  Generally my wetware filter can easily reject that signal.  Naturally the judicious selection of hardware width, shift, and even RIT can improve this situation if needed.

Now consider if I used a sidetone of 800Hz (for an example).  The same fellow fires up 100Hz away.  Now the percentage of separation drops to 12.5% (from 33%) and my wetware will have a much more difficult time rejecting the interference.  Obviously I can still apply hardware-based rejection, but my awareness of the surrounding spectrum will suffer.

Thus I have found that using a lower sidetone is the single most effective tool in dealing with crowded band conditions.

73, de Hans, KØHB
“Just a Boy and his Radio”™