[CQ-Contest] Receiver adjustments in CW contest conditions

Mark - N5OT r-emails at n5ot.com
Sat Dec 18 17:57:37 EST 2021

Hey Pete,

When a contester says "problems seem to come from QRM" it could mean a
lot of things.  Are you talking about adjacent signals, like the next
station up who's CQing, or perhaps when you are coexisting with that
station just fine, but someone answers their CQ who is loud and a little
too close to your side of him?  Can you be more specifc?

The responses about wetware separating signals are all fine and good
(K0HB, K9YC et al) but to your filters a 100Hz difference is 100Hz
regardless of the actual frequency of the tone.  However, they are
correct that two low pitches a certain number of Hz apart are absolutely
easier to differentiate by ear than two high pitches the same number of
Hz apart.

But not sure that is germane until you describe your frustration in
greater detail.  QRM = loud signals, which in a K-3 could bring an
interesting AGC conversation in addition to offset, shift and width.
Separating a desired weak CW signal from an undesired loud CW signal
might require more than telling two notes apart.

73 - Mark N5OT