[CQ-Contest] Feb Sprint Time Changes

RT Clay rt_clay at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 6 12:53:08 EST 2021

 Western stations are usually going to dominate in wintertime North American domestic contests because of the skip zone on the high bands ("high band" often includes 40m in the winter). But eastern or midwest stations can do quite well in domestic contests during the summer. In the summer there is often short-skip Es on the high bands, and low-band qrn gives eastern stations another advantage since they have more close in stations to work on the low bands. Eastern stations do much better in the August NAQP compared to the January NAQP, although it would be better if the summer NAQP contests were in June or early July when there tends to be more Es. Any domestic contest that is serious about being fair needs to be held twice a year, once in the winter and once in the summer.

Tor N4OGW