[CQ-Contest] The (physical) Mechanics of 2 KB SO2R

Michael Adams mda at n1en.org
Thu Jan 14 23:14:22 EST 2021

I don't do two-keyboard SO2R.  I prefer a single keyboard with auto-hotkey remapping a few keys to improve the ergonomics.

However, I do have a couple of computers in my shack/office.  For reasons beyond the scope of this thread, on my "side desk", I have two keyboards, one on a little shelf above the other.

I imagine that if I were to do two-keyboard SO2R, that would be an arrangement I would seriously consider, so as to avoid the strains of swiveling or reaching.   However, the challenge is that in this layout, only one keyboard can be at "proper" height.  (In my case, one is properly-situated for sitting use, and the other for standing use...but again, that's for reasons not relevant to this discussion.)

Or...I recently upgraded/standardized my keyboards in the house.  In the research I did prior to investing, I discovered that there are apparently quite a few gamers who prefer "60% keyboards", keyboards made small by omitting "extra" keys.   I can't see how they'd be good for contesting, as they lack dedicated function keys, but someone concerned about the ergonomics of two-keyboard SO2R might want to look into them; I imagine you could minimize the body/arm-shifting.

Michael Adams | mda at n1en.org