[CQ-Contest] Contesting and the FT8 Revolution

David Gilbert ab7echo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 21:01:58 EDT 2021

I've gone through this stuff in detail with someone who knows far more
about digital signal processing than either of us, and everything I said
is possible with the exception that I will acknowledge that synchronous
operation has advantages.  My postulation does NOT involve adhering to
the FT8 or FT4 protocol as you seem to suggest below.  I proposed a mode
similar to FT4 except wider bandwidth (which dose NOT necessarily
degrade S/N as you claim) and a different set of other parameters ...
plus conversion to CW instead of fixed text blocks simply to make it
more adaptable to common contesting practice.

I don't care what you say ... it can be done, but it's going to take
somebody to work it up from scratch instead of trying to port FT8 or FT4
to a different user interface.  Just about everything you said below is
wrong simply because you're stuck in that mental trap.

I will say again since nobody seems to get it ... FT8 and FT4 as
implemented by WSJT-X are not some new invention that locks all other
similar efforts into the same set of boundary conditions that K1JT
chose.  K1JT made very clever use of modern signal processing to create
FT8, FT4, and other similar modes but he chose a VERY restrictive set of
boundary conditions in order to implement his own particular vision.
Those same modern signal processing techniques could be implemented with
different boundary conditions to give ham radio (and in particular
contesting) a much cleaner and more usable interface.  Go read K1JT's
descriptions of what he did and what techniques he used, and if you then
do a bit of searching you will find lots of technical discussions of
those same methods applied in different ways to other tasks.  WSJT-X is
unique, but the the science behind it is not.

I know that I am flogging a dead horse here, but it frustrates the hell
out of me to see the opportunity that is being squandered simply because
the guy that came up with the first popular manifestation of modern
signal processing had such a limited vision of what it should be.

Dave   AB7E