[CQ-Contest] Running by the numbers

Christian Janssen DL1MGB chris at dl1mgb.com
Sun Jul 4 13:50:24 EDT 2021

Hi,

unfortunately, there is no MorseRunner or RUFZ for SSB. Not yet... So training has to happen more or less on the bands. The first thing as for all modes: Listen, listen and listen. Sit next to a pro while he/she is handling a pileup, try to copy as many callsigns as possible, write them down, compare with the pro's log. Maybe you can do some offline training in a small group sitting in one room and creating your own pileup and learn to manage it. But you have to get used to the noise and dynamics of a pile-up. You don't want to hear it for the first time when you call CQ and switch to RX.

But there comes a time when you have to go on the band and you are thrown into the cold water. And in the beginning, it should not be a rare DXCC / IOTA / ... Of course, you will be called lid or idiot when it is not going as it should be. But a newbie has to go through it. The more important is that a pro is sitting next to the newbie explaining what's going on on the band, that the newbie is not a lid or idiot. And giving advice what to do if the newbie doesn't know what to do.

Running low power instead of high power when you are a newbie: Maybe the wrong way. If you are a semi-rare station and your signal is not loud, you have to have excellent pile-up skills to keep the pile-up controlled. Having a loud signal should help to have more control over the pile-up.

Working by numbers: As already wrote before, you need to know how to do it and do it consequently 100%. Otherwise you are f....d.

So my short advice:
- Listen to a pro
- offline training with a pro
- working first pile-up with a pro (never alone!)
- continous training
- when you are used to it, enjoy the rates

73s Chris DL1MGB