[CQ-Contest] Do you have A/C in your shack?

Mark - N5OT r-emails at n5ot.com
Tue Jul 27 22:00:56 EDT 2021

Wow.

In Oklahoma it can be hot and also humid. When it is not cold outside,
N5OT is air conditioned and the thermostat set so the operator is
comfortable.  Probably not super cost-effective but as a fraction of the
overall electric bill at our place, essentially below the noise level.
Unlike K6LL whose station is in the house, but has radically different
A/C requirements, N5OT is in a separate building with a separate air
conditioner, so I don't have any kind of overlap issues or separation
issues.

A very interesting component to this conversation is that at PJ2T where
a number of us reading this go to get away from the cold of winter
sometimes, it has become kind of a joke, where great effort is put into
all the club multi-op operations so that the distribution of burden is
as fair as possible.  Therefore we have a pretty-much democratic kind of
vote every single time there is a contest.   It is always put to a vote
of all the operators who will be coming whether or not to use the air
conditioner.  The vote is accompanied by a detailed description of how
much electricity has been used to do this historically, the current cost
of electricity (which down there is approximately 6-8x less trivial than
in CONUS), a projection of the likely cost of running the air
conditioner, what each operators' share of the cost will be, etc.

The joke part is to see how many milliseconds it will take before
everyone votes YES.

73 - Mark N5OT