[CQ-Contest] Do you have A/C in your shack?

ku8e ku8e at ku8e.com
Wed Jul 28 13:33:45 EDT 2021

I can tell VE9AA will never be going on a Dxpedition to some rare uninhabited island.... unless it's to one of those rare cold Antarctic islands :)JeffSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr at arrl.net> Date: 7/28/21  1:23 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca Cc: cq-contest at contesting.com Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Do you have A/C in your shack? Here in Georgia, A/C is a necessity for survival in the summer.However, I did operate for nearly four years out of a storage closet off a carport that did not have A/C, although I did manage to heat it using a small space heater. I wrote about it in my blog:http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com/2015/06/farewell-to-micro-shack.html“The Micro-Shack wasn't always the most inviting place. In the wintertime, it could be quite cold. The digital thermometer would sometimes read about 45 degrees F on the coldest days. However, a small space heater would warm things up in a half-hour or so. Summertime was much tougher. When it is hot in Georgia, it is hot. I could open the door and run a floor fan to cool things down a bit -- but in the height of summer, it would just blow hot air around. I don't know how I operated contests such as Field Day or IARU in the heat of the summer.The Micro-Shack wasn't convenient, either. Feel the call of nature? Well, you have to go out of the storage room and walk to the house. More than once I was outside operating late at night and my family would lock the door. Perhaps they were trying to tell me something. I told my wife the next place should definitely have a shack where you don't have to walk out of doors to get to the operating position.”Sometimes, I miss that place. > On Jul 27, 2021, at 10:22 AM, ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca wrote:> > Keep in mind when reading the following, I am from the Maritimes and have lived> all my life in VO2, VO1, VE1 and VE9....so I don't do the high temps well ;-)> > During the recent IARU contest I think this was the first time I  *ever*  really> stopped operating due to heat/humidity.  I laid my head down "for a few minutes"> and woke up 5.5hrs later. Oof !> > My el-cheapo thermometer on the desk next to my keyboard said it was 31.5*C> (88.8*F)...I don't recall what the humidity was in the house,(probably a bit> lower than outside)  but outside was up to 94% at 11pm according to Environment> Canada.> > I QRT'd not long after midnight, shattered from the "heat".> > So....has anyone installed A/C in their shack? How did you like it? Run it every> contest? Only in the summer?> > Y'day I bought a teeny-tiny window A/C unit ~5000btu (on sale at that) and will> hopefully once installed, will try it out next contest,  assuming no QRM/RFI. > Living way out in the country. I like a quiet RX.> > I think in my mid-late 50's, I am finally getting soft.> > In the winter, I just turn my shack heat off and sometimes even open a window.> In the summer, I often operate LP or QRP....> In the IARU, with HP SO2R it was pretty warm and my shack is very very small.> > What has been your experience with heat/humidity while operating? (doesn't have> to have been in YOUR shack)> > Tnx !> > --> Mike VE9AA> >  > _______________________________________________> CQ-Contest mailing list> CQ-Contest at contesting.com> http://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/cq-contestBill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.netWeb: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.comQuote: "Not within a thousand years will man ever fly!"            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901_______________________________________________CQ-Contest mailing listCQ-Contest at contesting.comhttp://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/cq-contest