[CQ-Contest] does MD category even matter?

Douglas Zwiebel dougzzz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 19:56:18 EDT 2021

Interesting comments....but really, we almost measuring noise.

I went to the WPX CW logs received page, copied & pasted into excel and
played around.
See below.  The 2nd column from the right (% of logs) is for only the
categories shown.  The column on the extreme right (% of all logs),
includes all categories (not shown, EG all of the single-band entries).

But M/M is always a TINY category, except for their presence on the band.
In CQWW CW 2020, MM accounted for 0.4% of all logs (27 logs) and in
non-Covid 2019 MM accounted for 0.6% of logs (35 logs).

For my WPX CW 2021 analysis, I did the following during the afternoon
today, so by now, the data is stale.

So LOTS of questions and discussions around just 23 MD logs.
When the raw scores are published, we can see how many of the 23 MD logs
were "competitive."

de Doug KR2Q

Category log count   % of logs   % of all logs
ALL_L     1964       50.04%      35.18%
ALL_H     1351       34.42%      24.20%
CK         229        5.83%       4.10%
ALL_Q      188        4.79%       3.37%