[CQ-Contest] Mk2R+ optocouplers

David Gilbert ab7echo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 02:30:14 EDT 2021

Yeah, that would be 5 milliamps for all of them, which certainly is not
an excessive amount of drive current.  Most application notes for
optocouplers tended to spec about 10 milliamps for a typical
application, and as best I can remember 50 milliamps was often the max
rating.  If those optocouplers were degrading at 5 milliamps they really
had poor quality LEDs in them.

I still don't buy the idea that the lower speed slots should make much
difference, though.  I can't think of any reason why speed should make a
difference in LED lifetime at 5 milliamps unless those slots simply were
activated significantly more often ... higher duty cycle, not higher speed.

73,
Dave   AB7E