[CQ-Contest] Contesting and the FT8 Revolution

Alan M. Eshleman doctore at well.com
Sat Jun 19 16:38:01 EDT 2021

I also use FT-8 for the same situations that Jim mentions.  It's often the difference between making a QSO and listening to static.  And, yes, a computer did not do many of the things that I needed to be a ham radio operator.

But for me--at age 77--the most important thing a computer does not do is capture the thrill and joy that I experienced when I first went on he air 62 years ago and which I still experience. The thrill is just not there when I make an FT-8 QSO unless it's some sort of ATNO.

Enjoy these new digital modes. YMMV.  For me, they don't deliver the emotional satisfaction of CW or phone.  I'll give a pass to RTTY since that mode allows actual discourse.

73, Alan, K6SRZ