[CQ-Contest] Contesting and the FT8 Revolution

David Gilbert ab7echo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 18:43:02 EDT 2021

It would be interesting to know just how many db is lost due to
asynchronous decoding, but let's say it's a lot and synchronous decoding
is required.  That would be a minor sacrifice and everything else I have
postulated should still be possible.  If the bandwidth was wide enough
(and I think 200 Hz would be sufficient) the bit rates could be high
enough with reasonable length data blocks to make it fairly transparent
to the user.  Counting reaction time, it takes about five seconds to
send "N4OGW 5NN AZ" via CW at 35 WPM.  I'm pretty sure a
clock-synchronized digital format similar to FT8/FT4 with a 200 Hz
bandwidth could be effective with a five second data block.

The major point is to break free of WSJT-X's fixed window and fixed
message format, and apply as much of the signal processing as possible
to a spin the dial format ... with, in my opinion, a human involvement
(which is why I've suggested a conversion to audible CW on the receive
end) if we want to make a contest out of it.  I'm convinced that can be
done ... it just won't ever be done by K1JT.

73,
Dave   AB7E