[CQ-Contest] The 2021 Unassisted Challenge

Jeff Clarke ku8e at ku8e.com
Sat Mar 13 10:29:40 EST 2021

Many newer contesters don't know any other way to operate a contest than
operating assisted. They spend every contest just pointing and clicking
on spots, which doesn't really involve any skills at all. I see many
posts on 3830 of those who comment they did no S&P at all and make all
their QSO's by clicking on spots in the band map. If you have a nice
station you can do pretty good operating this way. You can usually have
a higher score than someone that is a more skillful operator but has a
lesser station. Those of us who don't like this way of operating are
often criticized as being not "keeping up with the times" or old fashioned.

I can totally understand why Bud thinks assisted is the way to go. AA3B
along with others such as K3WW, K5ZD, N3RD and others are all
accomplished SO2R operators, like to operate assisted and have nice
contest stations. Adding assistance allows them to maximize their
scores. There are other accomplished operators such as N6MJ, KL9A and
N2NT and others that aren't really into operating assisted. So why
should a single person decide that everyone should operate the way they
prefer to operate? I run the Georgia QSO Party and I make all my rule
decisions based on feedback I get and not my personal preference. There
are rules I want to change but I don't because of that feedback I get.
Bud heard lots of feedback on this reflector that opposed this rule
change but chose to ignore it and go with his personal preferences.

I've been a contester for many years and frankly I'm turned off buy some
of the current rules in contests. The "skill" factor doesn't really seem
to matter as much as it did in the past. Many of you that have been
around awhile before assistance and SO2R came about might remember back
in the day when those who had the highest contest scores were those who
made the right decisions such as "what band should I be running on" or
"should I take a break right now".  Those days are gone because with
today's assistive technology you don't  have to make that decision.

Either way I will still operate contests (especially CW) because that's
what I've done my entire amateur radio life. I'm not so concerned about
winning anything because I'm out gunned. It's just for the love of
contesting I have.

Jeff  KU8E