[CQ-Contest] IC-7300 VS IC-7410

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Wed Mar 31 15:10:55 EDT 2021

I own a pair of IC-7410's which I run here QRP, LP or HP (a la SO2R) (no
filters or stubs) in an aprox 2 acre sized contesting environment. No
issues.

I briefly owned (past tense) an IC-7300.  Find my review of it on eHam
reviews.

I'll not repeat my comments here except to say that they will answer some of
the questions you've asked.

YMMV

GL

Mike VE9AA

Trying to decide which Rig to Use IC-7300 VS IC-7410.

Last year Field Day was a Bust. But it looks pretty promising that this year
it could be really close to a traditional Field Day YAY!

Now In past years in my local club I am the only CW op of the group. Sad I
know. And I'm just too old to do 24 hours single Op anymore.

So in years past when a phone or digital station would be taking a break for
whatever reason, I would sit down and use the station and make as many CW
contacts as I could until the other Op's came back. It worked OK, Over the
weekend Id make a few hundred CW contacts the club would not have had.

BUT this year is Different, A new guy moved in, and he's also a CW man! YES!
So we said we will for Field Day this year make a dedicated CW station!

Now we are trying to decide which of those two rigs would be best at Field
Day?

Most if not ALL rigs (most times we run 5A) have Band pass filters, like.

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/lbs-pb-f200-14?rrec=true

And if we don't have one of those, we have many coaxial stub notches we can
add to an offending station.

So usually when we want to try to decide what Radio we want to use, if there
is a choice, and no one really has a personal preference, we usually go by
the Data Bob gives us at,

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

Using the Sorted by Third-Order Dynamic Range Narrow Spaced - or- ARRL RMDR
(Reciprocal Mixing Dynamic Range) if Phase Noise Limited as the deciding
factor.

We are both amazed at the difference of close in spec's between these two
radios! 97 for the 7300 VS only 78 for the 7410,, is it really that much
difference!?

Wow!

So am I to think correctly in a Field Day setting would the 7300 be the
better radio?

Joe WB9SBD

CQ-Contest at contesting.com