[CQ-Contest] Laptops for mobile....

Keith Dutson kdutson at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 28 19:38:20 EDT 2021

 Thanks for posting.  Based on your write-up, i decided to get the following:Samlex PST-300-12 PST Series Pure Sine Wave Inverter - 300 Watt

This one requires a 40A battery connection.  I have a dry cell battery installed under the back seat of the truck where the transceiver is installed, so will wire direct to that battery.
The antenna is about 10 feet away at the back of the truck bed.  I wonder if I will need some rf chokes in the power leads.
73, Keith NM5G
    On Friday, May 28, 2021, 02:06:14 PM CDT, Jim Brown <k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

 On 5/28/2021 10:23 AM, Michael Dinkelman wrote:
> It would be good to find a reliable laptop that can run off vehicle
> power (even with a dedicated
> accessory supply).

Slides 213 and 214 in this link show an inverter that we have
successfully used with Thinkpads. The low power unit shown is the only
one in this product line to consider -- W6GJB bought a larger one that
is far too noisy to use.

http://k9yc.com/KillingRXNoiseVisalia.pdf

Since then, W6GJB has found an inverter that's pretty quiet. For years,
we have used several of my Thinkpads of different vintage in our
multi-op CQP and 7QP county expeditions. We run both fixed and mobile in
7QP, fixed in CQP. I've pinged him for info on that unit.

The NUC computers (no screen, no keyboard) with the least processor
power run on 12V, and are used in some fixed contesting stations. I
don't know their noise profile.

73, Jim K9YC