[CQ-Contest] Laptops for mobile....

rjairam at gmail.com rjairam at gmail.com
Sun May 30 08:35:41 EDT 2021

I used my 2018 MacBook Pro in the K2EZ VHF rover for June VHF in 2018.
I have a 45 watt USB-C PD adapter. that connects to 12V DC.

https://www.amazon.com/Gearmo-Type-C-Output-Charger-Laptops/dp/B072P6J47F/

We didn't have RFI issues once I put a ferrite bead (3 turns) on the
USB-C PD input to the laptop. There was a slight "hash" on 6m and HF
without it.

So it is possible. I haven't tried PC laptops yet, mostly because I
don't have any, except my work laptop which can't be used for radio
contesting.

PD makes things a lot easier to run laptops off a car's 12V supply but
I always had a car adapter for all of my laptops, as I just like to be
prepared.

I don't like inverters as they add bulk and also inefficiency. I do
use inverters for other things but not my computers.

73
Ria, N2RJ