[CQ-Contest] CQ WPX strategy

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Sun May 30 22:04:07 EDT 2021

I messed up my 3830 submission
deleted ½ of it by accident, so nobody saw
the comment I was going to make about strategies in this contest.

If you go assisted and have a small to medium station, I think you can
really make some wicked good score by just clicking on the mouse and don’t
get held up on any one station
.they are all pretty much worth the same pts
in terms of multipliers.  The exception would be an off continent low band
mult
worth a little more, but not much.

If you are a medium to larger station,(and are NOT assisted) then my advice
harkens back to a book most of us (in NA) read when we were very small (5-6
yrs old).  The book series was “Dick and Jane”.  My favorite line from them
was “Run Spot Run, see Spot run !” (or words to that effect).

I am on the lower end of what I’d like to think is a medium sized station.
(just lotsa wires)

Even though I went “Classic” this time, I found I could make a pretty good
score by running as much as possible
.then, when things dried up, I swept
the band by spinning the big knob (looking for mults or easy Q’s) and then
changed bands most times.

Run, spot, Run.  See spot run.

Mike VE9AA

p.s.-leading zeros and cut #’s should be strongly discouraged in serial #
contests.

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB