[CQ-Contest] UPDATE: CQ WW DX SSB Midwest vs East Coast

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Nov 11 17:16:48 EST 2021

Exactly right, Scott. The farther west we are, the greater the length of
the part of our path to EU that's through the auroral oval, which adds
both attenuation and sometimes flutter. From near San Francisco, I do
FAR better to AF than to EU. Stations in NM, AZ, and SoCal have a
marginally better path than mine.

And, as others have noted, paths with reflections from water can be
stronger than those over land.

And any meaningful analysis must be of large samples, to average out the
randomness of propagation. I've used the RBN when there's little or no
band activity to troubleshoot issues with my TX antennas. I did the
study in 10-12 nights spread over several weeks, each night transmitting
TEST K9YC into one antenna and TEST W6BX into the other, six times in
sequence for each call, alternating between the two, then pausing for
5-10 minutes, and repeating. I loaded reports from each reporting
station into a spreadsheet, then tabulated and averaged the results for
each, and sorting those averages by azimuth. All three antennas have
some directivity by virtue of interaction with each other and my towers;
I did separate A/B tests like this for these combinations. The results
clearly confirmed results during contests -- two of those antennas are
about 7 dB down from the third.

The problem is either the connections in the radial system for the
tower, which acts as a passive reflector for the two antennas, or
absorption by the dense redwoods that surround them. Can't do anything
about the trees, but I'm working on the radial system.

73, Jim K9YC