[CQ-Contest] Working Split in Contests

Stan Zawrotny k4sbz.stan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 16:11:53 EST 2021

Doug,

Although I agree that it is permissible to use fractional frequencies, if
you will observe what is actually being done, not just by new ops but also
by old-timers, is that most operators choose a SSB frequency ending in .00,
.25, .50 or .75. Therefore, if you are doing S&P, you are *most likely* to
be on frequency with the CQer if you set your dial to one of those
settings. If the signal is not right, then tune off. But, *most likely*,
you will end up .25 away.

I have done a lot of S&P while I was a little pistol and it is rare to find
someone not on a multiple of .25 with SSB. It's not a rule, but it is a
fact.

This is especially easy to observe if you use a large screen panadapter
(such as Flex SSDR) where you can *see *where a signal is.

So, when running, you may park wherever you wish, but when doing S&P, you
will tune onto a calling station faster and more accurately if you use the
.25 technique.
Stan, K4SBZ