[CQ-Contest] Call sign choice

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Sun Oct 24 18:27:01 EDT 2021

Hi Bill,

OK, can o' worms.a few things:

.        I heard you on 40m last night.one of the louder signals, even
louder than most USA.40 was very long.

.        It's an unusual callsign, so it's not in the contesting collectives
grey-matter.that worth a lot. *(more than SCP some would say)

.         It may not be in SCP (you can fix that yourself) Super Check
Partial Database Files <http://supercheckpartial.com/>   Ask them to put you
in.

.        For CQWW SSB, you'll still have the same problem as not everyone
will update their SCP files in time.(or some already have and won't find you
in there)

.        For CQWW CW, you'll have to contact the RBN group and have them add
your callsign as it *may* not pass the algorithm scrutiny.(I am not 100%
sure on that but I didn't find a single hit for "V3X" on the RBN.surely
you've sent at least 1 CQ or TEST? Contact N4ZR and have your call manually
added to the RBN "good calls" list for CW contests.

IMO, It's kinda late, so unless you thrive on frustration and NIL's, then
I'd use V31XX for CQWW SSB and do what I outlined and use V3X in the CW leg.

That's all.

CU (all of a sudden!)

Mike VE9AA

Quick question...

I have the call V31XX, but am allowed to use V3X for the CQWW contest.  I
tried

the call out last night in the Sprint with mixed results.  Although the call
is

shorter, quite a few guys struggled to get the call right.  Some wanted to
make

me a VE3, others added stuff to the suffix, etc.

Given a choice which call would you use?  Any comments are welcome.

Bill K4XS/KH7XS.V31XX

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB