[CQ-Contest] Don't forget to spot in CQWW SSB

Kenneth Wolff ken at k1ea.com
Fri Oct 29 10:50:18 EDT 2021

Automatic spotting by unassisted stations has been around for 30 years when
CT implemented it. CT and almost all modern logging software does not allow
unassisted users to see or use any cluster spots.

Automatic spotting is a good thing, with a few warnings. If you are
unassisted and cheat by using cluster data either from the logger or any
other way, the CQWWCC *will* catch you and there will be consequences.
Whether you are unassisted or not, you may not spot your own call, and
*will* be busted if you do. With some loggers this can happen when you
remove a qso by changing the call to your own. Be careful.

Whether cluster spotting and the resulting packet pileups are good for
contesting is a matter of personal opinion, but there are thousands of
DXers and muliop stations who like them. We want the casual op, DXer or
not, to get on the air and have fun.

Ken, K1EA