[CQ-Contest] Japanese 2x2 calls?

ktfrog007 at aol.com ktfrog007 at aol.com
Fri Oct 29 11:52:52 EDT 2021

A few weeks ago there was discussion here about the new VK contest calls.  I sent a reply saying Japan also needed shorter contest calls.  Later I saw a posting from a Japanese op who said there were 2x2 JA calls in the pipeline.

This morning I heard a Central American station work JR6FC on FT8.  I couldn't hear the JA station.  Since it's not common to have this kind of busted call on FT8, I thought maybe some of these calls may have been issued and there might be some in the contest.  All the more so since the prefix was JR2.  There always have been a few 2x2 JA prefix calls, but not further down the alphabet, like JR.

This is just conjecture.  Does anyone know more about this?  In any case, be alert in case they are in use.  It could cause some confusion until we get used to them.

73,
Ken, AB1J