[CQ-Contest] [cwops] [Skimmertalk] CW Open and the RBN

Pete Smith N4ZR pete.n4zr at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 14:56:14 EDT 2021

Interesting hypothesis about speed.  I only looked back 100 spots,
beginning at 0020Z on September 4.  I can't discern any pattern, though,
as to speed or signal strength.  Steve was sending consistently >30
wpm.  Pretty much the same goes for one other "ONxxx" that turned up a
lot during the CWO.  Signal strength of the busts was all over the map,
though Steve's are as consistently strong as you might expect.

I used the callsign search feature of the RBN's web site to look for
"*N2IC",  which returned the last 100 spots spots for his call and for
the ON variant.  There were only 3 ON spots out of the last 100.  For
the other similar callsign, there were 9 out of 100 ON2 busts of his N2
call.

Looking at the data, I'm inclined to believe that the "solution" is for
users of RBN spots to make use of the "blacklist callsign" feature
available in N1MM's Available Mults and Qs window.  I don't know (yet)
whether blacklisting a spot there by right-clicking on it will also
cause it not to appear in the Bandmap window, but I suspect so.

The second case, where Skimserv thinks you're done sending the callsign
and drops the last letter, may be different.  One station (a 1x2 call)
either had his last letter dropped or changed from "P" to "I" 20 times
in his last 100 spots.  That suggests that the inter-letter space may be
being misinterpreted as an inter-word space rather than an inter-letter
space.  In his case, speed was 28-30 wpm.  I'm hopeful of hearing from
him whether he was sending his call by hand, because it seemed by ear as
if he was leaving a slightly longer space before the "I", perhaps for
emphasis.  If not, then we may have another case where blacklisting the
busted versions of calls may be the only solution.

73, Pete N4ZR
web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.