[CQ-Contest] A somber QSO

w1rm at comcast.net w1rm at comcast.net
Mon Aug 15 13:35:03 EDT 2022

I, too, worked W4KFC.  I was in the middle of a run on 20 when I saw the
spot for W4KFC on 80.  Like a moth to the flame, I stopped the run and went
to 80 to work KFC.  Growing up in contesting, Vic was my idol.  I had the
great pleasure of meeting him several times and even visiting his home.  I
was blown away at how simple his station and antenna system was.  The one
scary thing was his home brew amplifier was a single band affair so to
change bands he had to turn the plate off, yank the coil and plug in a new
one.  If he made a mistake in the middle of the night and didn't turn the
plate off, I don't want to think of what might have happened.

If Buddy, W4YE, had been signing he call, the fist would have really sounded
like Vic.

Pete Chamalian, W1RM
W1RM at Comcast.net