[CQ-Contest] Contest Burnout

Barry W2UP w2up.co at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 08:37:45 EST 2022

I feel like a kid compared to you guys - I'm 65  :-)

Anyway, I, too, no longer have the competitive contesting bug.  I was never
a fan of doing 48h marathons.  However, in the 2000s decade I decided to
put in the effort and try to win a few and I succeeded.  Twice each, I won
SOA in CQWW CW and ARRL CW.  I met my goal, then never put in a full-time
effort again.  Thirteen years ago, when I retired, I moved from PA to CO,
to a condo, where I now run 100W to a fan dipole.  I made the decision that
it was more important to me to be an hour's drive from the world's best
skiing as opposed to being able to run Europe at 200+/hour.  I can get my
run fix with Morserunner anytime I want.

You may want to consider joining a multi-op crew.  I've done some of that
in recent years, both in person and remote, and enjoy the time spent (as
long as I operate the EU run hours as opposed to hunting for S. Americans
during the slow afternoon hours).  :-)

73,
Barry W2UP