[CQ-Contest] Contest Burnout

David Gilbert ab7echo at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 13:24:14 EST 2022

I wholeheartedly agree.  There is a reason that video games are so very
popular ... they use great visuals and involve tiered strategies of one
sort or another.  I have argued for years that ham radio contest would
be a lot more fun than being mostly just an endurance event if we could
come up with some way to add layered strategies for obtaining points,
and maybe even overlay real time activity on a global map ... or some
other way to add visuals to the contest that display

In my opinion, ideally part of the points achievement would involve
offensive and defensive moves against other participants.  Ham radio
contests currently don't actually involve direct competition unless
you're trying to break a pileup, and the stations that win contests do
rather little of that since they are mostly running.  I'm talking about
somehow being able to affect whether or not an opponent gets a point ...
like maybe he gets fewer points for a contact with a particular station
if you work that station first.

This goes beyond whether any of us still have the desire or ability to
sit in a chair for enough hours to do well in a contest.  It's also a
matter of basic appeal.   I've done a lot of contests and I've played a
lot of open world video games, and while I have enjoyed both I can say
with some assurance that one is a grind and the other is exciting.  It
just seems to me that there should be some creative way to bridge that gap.

73,
Dave   AB7E