[CQ-Contest] self spotting gotcha

Kevan Nason knason00 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 14:43:28 EST 2022

K3TN wrote:
"Depends on how your antennas compare to your neighbors!... I started
filtering years ago when I realized my time wasted on calling marginal
spots seemed higher than any gain in rate."

Same here. Being a little pistol low power op I do a LOT of S&P using spots
and N1MM's great tools for effectively using them. It is far more
productive for me to filter spots so they come only from within my region.
However, when running I periodically remove filters and look at all spots
for the very reason many have said. I also believe and practice spinning
the VFO after working the spot list down. Invariably I catch stations not
spotted due to my filter options.

It took me a long time to realize advice given on reflectors needs to be
considered in light of your own station capabilities and operating skill.
Too often what is taken as a "must do" does not apply to me and my puny
station.

Kevan N4XL