[CQ-Contest] ARRL to allow self-spotting in contests

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Wed Feb 16 10:26:30 EST 2022

Wow that is quite a rule change! I have always enjoyed the randomness of not
knowing what rare station will call next or where and when I will be
spotted. W2RE did not display his 20m operating frequency while live
streaming so this is very different. I sure that computer literate people
could have programs that regularly self spot. This could easily get out of
hand. Too bad there is no SSB RBN!

John KK9A

Randy Thompson k5zd wrote:

>From the ARRL Contest Update today:

"New Rules in effect for all ARRL HF Contests in June
Starting with the ARRL International Digital Contest, in all categories that
allow assistance (Unlimited), the use of online and other non-amateur radio
platforms including but not limited to social media, live video streaming,
and internet chat rooms will be allowed. In all Unlimited and Multioperator
categories, the prohibition of self-spotting, and asking another station to
spot you, will also be removed."

Wow.  It was one thing for the VHF contests to allow use of chat rooms and
telephone calls, now this is extended to all HF contests. It should be
interesting to see what unintended consequences result from allowing
multi-ops and assisted competitors to spot themselves. You could spot
yourself with every CQ if you wanted to. Or you can call people on the phone
and ask them to get on the air. Or send out email reminders to work you
during the contest.

It is likely to have the most impact on SSB to produce spotting equal to
what the RBN does for CW and RTTY.

For an organization that has always been so timid and conservative on rule
changes, the ARRL seems to have sprung this one without much consultation
with the contest community.  I assume it is in reaction to the W2RE incident
several years ago in ARRL DX where he used live streaming on Facebook during
the contest.

Randy K5ZD